Hi,

I use Kinovea for more then two years now, always with a Sony Handycam and it works great. Today I've tried to connect a IP cam but there are two problems coming up.

1. During streaming (recording and not recording) the video in Kinovea stutters and is about 4 seconds behind. When I watch the same stream at the same time by using the browserstream the video is clear and hasn't got these problems

2. During playback of the recorded video the movie stutters and every time it stutters Kinovea changes the playback speed down. After a few stutters the speed will be around 30%.

Kinovea version: 0.8.15
IP cam: ACTi KCM-5611

Settings cam
Encoder type: MJPEG
Resolution: N1280 x 720
Frame rate: 30 fps

I'm curious if anyone has a solution to this!

Ciao,
Marc

Hello,
You should try the experimental version 0.8.18 to see if the problem remains. There were changes to the capture recording process and changes to the playback pipeline that should improve performances.

Hi Joan,

Super! It works so much better! The movie and the stream are perfectly smooth now!

There is still one thing nog working the way it should. When I press pause I'm able of seeiing the frames and scrolling through by using the arrow-buttons on my keyboard. Now it happens to be that I need to push an arrow-button two times to go a frame forward. And somehow I got the feeling the amount of frames I'm capable of scrolling trhough is nog 30 per second. Do you know a solution to that too?

Marc

You have this only on files recorded from capture screen or on all files?
Do you have the Image > Deinterlace option on by any chance?

It's like it would record the same frame twice and discard the new one… I'll have to try to reproduce the problem.

When I change the deinterlacing option, it doens't effect this problem. I have this problem on files recorded with Kiovea. I haven't got any other file to try it with.

I uploaded the captured a preview file here: https://www.wetransfer.com/dl/6eySWcSn/ … 327531e698

Hi Joan,

Did you already find something at the last problem?

Marc

Thanks for the sample, I reproduce the issue you describe, it's probably a problem during the recording process, not during playback.
Does the camera have several configurations ? If so could you test with various image size/framerate and see if the issue is consistent or if it only happens for higher values ?

I am seeing the same issue with version 0.8.18 as well.  I am finding that the lag on arrowing backwards can be quite bad. I will push the back arrow several times and not see any advancement and then all of a sudden I will get several frames.

Sometimes the problem is reversed and it is the forward arrow that lags and going back in the video is the more responsive of the two modes.

The video I am trying to play was shot at 720p and 60fps.

Hi all,

I have tried a lot of settings, but not one of them makes a change. I uploaded a screenshot of all the settings that are made. Does anyone have the solution?

Marc

Uploaded screenshot: https://www.wetransfer.com/dl/Zsfz78p6/ … 277559750e

acer22 wrote:

I am seeing the same issue with version 0.8.18 as well.  I am finding that the lag on arrowing backwards can be quite bad. I will push the back arrow several times and not see any advancement and then all of a sudden I will get several frames.

Hmm, I don't think they are the same problem. The issue mgerner has is that each frame of the captured video has been duplicated in the capture process. So when you go step by step, the actual image only changes one time out of two. It's independant of other issues. I don't know if it's coming from Kinovea or if the frames come like this.

What you describe sounds like the classic issue of stepping backward in videos using interframe coding. A seek is needed which can be quite costly (we jump to a keyframe, then decode everything until the target). The preroll cache should mitigate this issue. Could you test with 0.8.16 and see if it's better/worse. Please start a new topic with your findings to keep this one about network capture.

@mgerner: try to put all the settings to the minimum values to see if it's related to processing time or not. Can you try to record the same camera in another application ? That would also help understand if the issue is in Kinovea or elsewhere in the chain. Webcam XP (free) should be able to capture it.

In the specs here for example it says the max framerate at 1920x1080 is 15fps, and 30fps is for 1280x720. Maybe when you select 1920x1080 and 30fps it emulates it by duplicating the frames?
Can you try 1920x1080 @ 15 fps and see if there is still duplication ? Then 30fps at lower resolution.