When you use "Track path" the "persistence" setting is overruled. I.e. it is not possible to have a circle/arrow etc. which tracks a path/object for only a limited amount of time. I find that this is often a show-stopper for using "track path" in generated videos as the object I want to track is not in the video for the complete length I want to save. Is there any workaround for this functionality?

Currently there is no workaround for this issue. Besides, I don't really know how it should be adressed. Maybe one day if we have finer settings for persistence that would allow specifying named key images as cue points.

My idea would be to have exactly the same behavior for an object with respect to how long it is visible  when "track path" is used compared to when "track path" is not used. I.e., if the object is to be visible for 100 frames, it is that either if "track path" is on or not.

But I guess the problem is in the back-end - and not with respect to what the user expects based on input to the software. Thanks for the answer, anyway!