This is an experimental version : it needs your feedback to improve.

The installer is available here: [s]Kinovea.Setup.0.8.13[/s] - Go to Kinovea.0.8.14

The main improvement comes from the "Observational reference" department.
- The whole area can now be used to move objects around (previously you had to grab them exactly by the lines or drawn areas)
- They are loaded resized to 75% of the image height to ensure they fit in.
- New "Import image…" menu to create a reference from an existing image or svg file.
- When in dual playback, you can "Send image to the other video" to create a reference on the fly.
- The master opacity of the image or drawing can be tuned.

Other changes includes the thumbnails on the main window, see snapshot below.

Fixed bugs : 233, 234, 236.
changelog.

Image tool in action on triple jumper Christian Olsson. (I saved 2 key images to files and loaded them again as references)
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/imagetool.jpg

New thumbnail
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/thumbnail.jpg

All new features working fine here W7(64bit)- look good and very useful - thanks!

Yes, same here. Program is stable at the moment. One suggestion: it would be useful if the images could 'snap' to boarders while moving/resizing. That would make it easier to superimpose two athletes (with the opacity tool) on the fly.

As always, each new release is like Christmas! Thanks for your tireless work.

Thanks
Please re try with the IP camera if possible. I have no idea if it's even supposed to work or not…

5 (edited by biosol 2011-03-14 05:56:24)

Hi, am new to Kinovea.  I wanted to ask some questions about it (8.13).  I have this version installed on a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Hyper-Threaded system with 2GB RAM and a 8x AGP video card (Nvidia 6600).  It runs Windows XP and I have .net 2.0 installed.  I have loaded in two standard definition videos (captured from a commercial program) and the playback seems choppy and the speed of the playback seems inconsistent.  Is a more powerful computer required to playback 2 video screens?  Should I install a different version of .net or some other software?

Also, I have 2 MiniDV camcorders connected to this computer via Firewire on separate pci cards.  One camera is shown correctly in a dual capture screen, but the other screen is blank (black).  Is this feature, capturing two live feeds, working at the present time?

Thanks for any info.  I'm interested in using the program as it seems very useful.  For reference, I have and use(d) a couple of commercial software programs, SiliconCoach and Arial Dynamics, APAS 3D system.  If I can help with some testing or anything else, please let me know.

I do have SiliconCoach running on a powerful system, a Core2Quad 9550 Windows 7_64 with 8GB RAM and a GeForce GTS250 video card.  I could install Kinovea on this system if you're sure it will not affect my SiliconCoach installation.  Please advise.

Thanks!

Anyone have any suggestions/info on why there is an error when trying to capture 2 videos from MiniDV cameras connected to separate pci cards?

Regarding two capture screens, Joan has mentioned this bug on a previous thread. Does this solves your problem?

joan wrote:

Note that there is a bug when using the two capture screens view. You need to go to menu Options > Preferences > Playback and decrease the ammount of memory (second slider) to something like 300/400MB. Otherwise you might get a crash (actual RAM you have is irrelevant).

Thanks Jon, that seems to be working fine and didn't help, but I guess the program isn't picking up the second camera and so I noticed how to select the video source manually and that was the issue.  One thing I have noticed yet is, is there a single button to start both recordings at the same time?

biosol wrote:

I have loaded in two standard definition videos (captured from a commercial program) and the playback seems choppy and the speed of the playback seems inconsistent.  Is a more powerful computer required to playback 2 video screens?  Should I install a different version of .net or some other software?

Do you have this for all videos or only these specific ones ?
There can be some issues of jumpy playback with some instances of H.264 files.
If you see the speed slider moving to the left by itself, this indeed indicates that the program has trouble keeping up the pace. (do you know the frame rate of the video ?)

biosol wrote:

I do have SiliconCoach running on a powerful system, a Core2Quad 9550 Windows 7_64 with 8GB RAM and a GeForce GTS250 video card.  I could install Kinovea on this system if you're sure it will not affect my SiliconCoach installation.  Please advise.

I cannot think of anything that would affect your existing programs. Files are installed in Program Files, there is one entry in the registry to remember the language of installation.
Most notably, Kinovea doesn't register itself to open any file type or to be launched when a video device is connected to the machine. (I know some other softwares do that but personally I find it a bit intrusive)

And regarding your last question, no, there is currently no functions that would work on the two capture screens simultaneously.
Thanks

10 (edited by biosol 2011-03-17 23:56:04)

Hi Joan,
Thanks for the reply.

I'll post 4 pictures, 2 are regular MiniDV video caps at 29.97 I believe, avi files I captured with SiliconCoach a while ago.  You can see the blurring of the feet in the side view.  The other two pictures play very clearly and are 210 fps video caps.  This is on my Core2 Quad system.  I will also post a couple from my old Pentium 4 system, the full body side video definitely plays at different speeds, the whole legs are blurring and sometimes it's appears to go forward - backward for a while.  Maybe there is a setting I need to change or a de-interlacing issue?  I don't know...

Playing on the Core2Quad system:

Pete from the side (Running Speed = 10mph):
[img align=C]http://www.3dmotiontraining.com/video/Kinovea_pic.jpg[/img]

Pete from the front:
[img align=C]http://www.3dmotiontraining.com/video/Kinovea_pic2.jpg[/img]

Pete lower body, High Speed - 210fps
[img align=C]http://www.3dmotiontraining.com/video/Kinovea_210.jpg[/img]

Pete lower body, High Speed - 210fps
[img align=C]http://www.3dmotiontraining.com/video/Kinovea_210_2.jpg[/img]

Playing on the P4 system:
[img align=C]http://www.3dmotiontraining.com/video/Kinovea_p4.jpg[/img]

The High Speed videos look fine on the P4 system.

Also, just for additional info, the SiliconCoach people told me to have at least a Core2 cpu, so maybe trying to use my old P4 system for anything other than web surfing and email is not practical any more.  What I'm kind of trying to figure out is if Kinovea would run fine on the new Corei3 cpu that have the graphics build into the cpu (2100/2200 I think)?

Last, do you have a release schedule for the beta?  Just wondering when the next version might be coming out?

Thanks, great program!

biosol wrote:

the whole legs are blurring and sometimes it's appears to go forward - backward for a while.  Maybe there is a setting I need to change or a de-interlacing issue?  I don't know...

Yes exactly, it looks like combing from interlaced frames. Try with menu Image > Deinterlace.

biosol wrote:

Also, just for additional info, the SiliconCoach people told me to have at least a Core2 cpu, so maybe trying to use my old P4 system for anything other than web surfing and email is not practical any more.  What I'm kind of trying to figure out is if Kinovea would run fine on the new Corei3 cpu that have the graphics build into the cpu (2100/2200 I think)?

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to CPU types and power smile Maybe some other users can give their experience with regards to hardware specs.
Currently most of the drain is on the CPU but there is a sub-project to get the rendering done through Direct2D, which should leverage hardware acceleration from the Graphic card and give a good performance boost.

biosol wrote:

Last, do you have a release schedule for the beta?  Just wondering when the next version might be coming out?

Next experimental version should hopefully be released begining of april.
The next official version will be released when the current one is stable enough (no new features are planned) and after translations/manual update.