I saved two different video files with key images data and have successfully opened these files previously. However now I am receiving an error message:

Error. unable to open file: stream information not found

What has happened to these files that I can no longer open them? I hope I can fix this as these files represent hours worth of work.

Thanks!

What was the version with which it worked ?
What is the version with which it doesn't work ?
(0.8.7, 0.8.15 and 0.8.16 have 3 different versions of the decoding backend).

Do you mean you saved them with Kinovea and now you can't read them ?

Can you send me a small sample file exposing the problem ?
(joan at kinovea dot org)

Yes these are edited video files that I saved using kinovea vs 8.15. I have saved them and successfully opened them previously but now I am unable to open them. Ill email you the file if I can shortly.

Thanks for the files.

For those interested:
The issue seems to be in the default saving option of embedding the KVA file inside the video file. The creation of the KVA stream inside the file worked but the rest of the transcoding failed. The result is an .mkv file that looks ok, but has no images.

This is at least two bugs here: failing to transcode and failing to report the failure.

If you have such a file (a very small .mkv file that won't open) do not loose all hope, the analysis data should be recoverable.

I have this exact problem, I have an mkv file that I've converted to MOV. however the MOV file wouldnt open on Quicktime.  I went back to the MKV file and tried to open it on Kinovea but the same message appeared as above.  This is the second time this has happened.  If you could help me ASAP that would be great, the deadline for the peice of work is in 3 days!

Thanks

If the file is small, send it over (joan at kinovea dot org).
For info the ability to save the KVA embedded inside the MKV has been removed in further versions, it was causing more problems than solving.

I'm not sure I understand. I have sent you the file anyway.

Thanks

The original issue (in this thread at least) was due to a bug in the specific mode of saving where you save the analysis data embedded in the video file as a stream. If you didn't use this feature it must be a different issue. In the new versions, it's only possible to save the analysis as a separate file, partly to avoid this type of problems.