Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with how my Kinovea is saving files. I have a video 24 seconds long (24.31 to be exact). The source file is 24.31, the video file when viewed in the working zone shows a duration of 24.31 as well.

The issue is when I try to save the video with image overlay on it. For some reason, the saved video is 29 seconds long instead of 24.

I have tried to save the file in AVI, MP4 and MKV and all 3 result in the same problem.

It is strange because the video is not out of time. For example I have a timer within the 24 seconds that records an event lasting 3.6 seconds. It still correctly displays 3.6 seconds when I view it in VLC media player afterwards, however the overall video length has increased to 29 seconds. It is as if the video is slower than it should be. The speed in Kinovea is also 100% so that is not an issue either.

The version if Kinovea I am using is "Kinovea - 0.8.15".

Any help with this would be appreciated, thank you!

Daz

First of all, just in case it works in your scenario, you can save the analysis data independently from the video itself. This is the preferred way to go in new versions. Save the analysis in a separate kva file, and use the original footage. The data will be loaded back when reopening the file in Kinovea.
Saving the video itself should only be used for export, for example to upload to youtube or something. Even if it's to share with someone, it's better to send the original video and the .kva file separately.

If this is not possible, try to convert the original video to another format in a conversion software first. (VLC may be able to do it for example). I think the issue with saving is only on certain input formats (mp4 ?) so converting it first to mpeg or avi might fix the problem.

You can also try with the experimental version 0.8.17, although I doubt it will fix the issue, it's more recent and the player has been improved. It also has logs enabled by default, so it'll be easier to diagnose the problem.
(However the data format has changed, so work you do on 0.8.17 may not be entirely read back in 0.8.15)