Hi,
Here is the tutorial : http://www.kinovea.org/en/tutorial-crea … stom-tool/

I realize that what is needed now is a reference doc on the available impacts and constraints. (They can be found by looking at the existing tools or in the sources).

Thanks Joan thats great. Got the first tool completed, attached here http://db.tt/OyqvTEuy if anyone wants a horse frame tool.
A suggestion, what about a central store for forum members to upload their tools to and share developements with each other?
Stage 2 I suppose is how to make the data from these custom tools exportable, but I seem to remember reading your already working on that for a future version.

jonh wrote:

Thanks Joan thats great. Got the first tool completed, attached here http://db.tt/OyqvTEuy if anyone wants a horse frame tool.

Nice smile
Oh, I see there is a problem in how the files are sorted for the menu… It should use alphanumeric sorting instead of alphabetic, so that tool 10 doesn't end up between tools 1 and 2.

jonh wrote:

A suggestion, what about a central store for forum members to upload their tools to and share developements with each other?
Stage 2 I suppose is how to make the data from these custom tools exportable, but I seem to remember reading your already working on that for a future version.

Here is my wildest dream:
- An online editor where you can visually create a custom tool with ease, using dragging and dropping, buttons, etc.
- You would be able to fork an existing tool, import a background image for ref, define constraints through comboboxes, etc.
- Once done, the tool could be saved as a draft in a personal space or published in a common repository.
- Then from within Kinovea, a special module would let you browse all the published tools, and import them directly.

There are several hurdles in the way, but so far I have JavaScript code loading a tool from its XML and drawing it as SVG objects in an HTML page (using raphaël.js library for creating SVG on the fly).

Not all aspects are dependant on each other though. If there is a common repository of user contributed tools, even if its populated manually, the importing mechanics in Kinovea can be worked out even before the HTML5 editor is finalized.

Oh ok I'll get that sorted, thanks for the prompt.
A visual tool creator would be fantastic with as you say combo boxes etc to add functionality.
I assume that it would be web based and the resulting tool automatically loaded into the central repository.
For the download & install function maybe this would be best as a seperate utility and not be built into kinovea? I'm thinking of the way several GPS mapping & satnav type  applications use a standalone downloader/editor app.

jonh wrote:

Oh ok I'll get that sorted, thanks for the prompt.

I meant that the problem is in Kinovea. The menu is created from names of files found in the folder, using a simple alphabetic sort, which causes this kind of issue. I have recently integrated the more natural sorting algorithm in the main file explorer. It will have to be used there as well.
(If you want to have a look, the problem is in ScreenManager/PlayerScreen/Drawings/GenericPosture/GenericPostureManager.cs, line 71. And an example correct sort in FileBrowser/UserInterface/FileBrowserUserInterface.cs, line 440. The idea would be to first get the list of files from Directory.GetFiles in a variable, then sort it properly before looping on it in the foreach.)

jonh wrote:

For the download & install function maybe this would be best as a seperate utility and not be built into kinovea? I'm thinking of the way several GPS mapping & satnav type  applications use a standalone downloader/editor app.

It could also be considered as small plug-ins. I quite like the extension mechanism in Firefox, Wordpress and others where you can browse the available extensions from within the software itself and install them with a few clicks, all without quiting the software. With some added logic, the new tools could even be loaded and added dynamically without restarting.

joan wrote:

It could also be considered as small plug-ins. I quite like the extension mechanism in Firefox, Wordpress and others where you can browse the available extensions from within the software itself and install them with a few clicks, all without quiting the software. With some added logic, the new tools could even be loaded and added dynamically without restarting.

Indeed that would be fantastic but I don't think a separate browser/downloader would take away from the usability so if putting that functionality into the main program would unnecessarily complicate or slow things down I wouldn't worry about it too much, certainly wouldn't bother me going to a separate app to install a new feature??

I see what you mean about the sorting and would love to be able to get in and look at it for you, certainly have the time available but unfortunately it's beyond my skill set sad

Have now created a second tool & am aiming to get a third done today, I've loaded them both onto a new dropbox folder here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/opa7a2g3fkx7sup/LpH9YiaeMd if anyone wants to use them or add others feel free it could become a temporary home in the mean time.

I have created a page with interactive documentation for the constraints and impacts.
This subproject is helping build the groundwork for an online viewer/repository of custom tools.

-> Custom tools reference

Most of the custom tools engine is ported. I think in the current state it can render all existing tools except the "Posture" one.

It works for me under Firefox and IE9. It seems that the mini demos are broken under Chrome, and the table of content jumplist isn't working under IE7 and IE8. Browser compatibility is such a pain…

If there are bugs, stuff unclear or other problems, don't hesitate to report.

Dear all,

Did someone find the solution of tracking custom tools? I have made my own xml's but none of the custom tools allow me to configure and track in such a way that I can export it to Excel.

Please advice on this.

Kind Regards,
Alain