Newbie here - just playing with my Basler 500+fps camera (acA720_520uc) and I notice it has "synchronization -hardware trigger: free run: software trigger". I'm using the camera to record golf swings indoors. Does this (sync) mean I can trigger the recording process with an external device? I am open to ideas regarding how to trigger these recordings.
In a previous life I distributed surveillance systems...that recorded on motion...ie kept a rolling record for 30 seconds in arrears. If motion appeared then the last 30 second motion plus any new motion was saved. Is there something similar to this for high fps cameras? Software? At 500fps - if I wish to record my own swing...it can take 10 seconds for me to get ready to hit a golf ball...and the reviewable swing itself is less than 0.5 of a second. Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you aware of the audio trigger feature in recent version of Kinovea, https://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=928. I use the audio trigger combined with delayed recording (with recording delay of 3s and the "Stop recording by duration" set to 3.5s) to capture and replay my golf swing automatically. I use 1 instance of Kinovea with dual capture (face-on and down-the-line) to record into 2 separate folders. I swing and hit the ball, the sound of the impact will trigger the recording. Kinovea will save the prior 3 sec before impact + the 0.5 sec after impact into 2 files (1 from each camera). I use another instance of Kinovea to playback the videos automatically using the "Open replay folder observer" setting.

Some detail of how to set the audio trigger up can be found here, https://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewto … 168#p4168.

Exactly that's the way to go.
I'm using 1,5 second delay and 2,5 second recording time and the swing fits perfectly.
using high speed cameras, it may be favorable to use 1 Kinovea for each camera, if more than 1 camera is connected.

Furthermore, uncompressed video should be selected (MKV or AVI). otherwise, the conversion process during high speed recording may result in a high frame dropping rate.
Having a fast SSD, independent from the system drive, to save the video file may be an advantage. Windows itself unexpectedly writes to the system drive that may interfere.

When setting up an audio trigger...do I need a specific microphone? If yes, any suggestions? Model? Make etc. And then - if an external mike, is there a "better" position to place it? I am really looking fwd to getting this going...mainly for self help. Regs Osc

You may use a "standard", cheap microphone. Use an extension cable to position the microphone near your impact area.
If it is as close as possible to the golf ball, you can lower the trigger threshold to exclude undesirable trigger actions due to background noise. I have it clipped to my launch monitor, about 25cm from impact area.

The motion detection software ZoneTrigger can be configured to trigger Kinovea by dedicated HotKeys. You will need one camera for the trigger and one for Kinovea....

Reiner wrote:

You may use a "standard", cheap microphone. Use an extension cable to position the microphone near your impact area.
If it is as close as possible to the golf ball, you can lower the trigger threshold to exclude undesirable trigger actions due to background noise. I have it clipped to my launch monitor, about 25cm from impact area.

Any link to what you actually use?

This is what I'm using, works perfect for me. Pretty standard equipment

Microphone:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XX7 … &psc=1

Audio Extension cable:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01CNA … &psc=1

I did exactly same by it is not recording motions before the impact.  1.5s delay and 2.5s recording time. 

Reiner wrote:

Exactly that's the way to go.
I'm using 1,5 second delay and 2,5 second recording time and the swing fits perfectly.
using high speed cameras, it may be favorable to use 1 Kinovea for each camera, if more than 1 camera is connected.

Furthermore, uncompressed video should be selected (MKV or AVI). otherwise, the conversion process during high speed recording may result in a high frame dropping rate.
Having a fast SSD, independent from the system drive, to save the video file may be an advantage. Windows itself unexpectedly writes to the system drive that may interfere.

To record before the impact, you have to do the following:

Select options from the menu, then preferences, the preferences dialog appears

Select Capture
select the Recording Tab
activate "Delayed: records delayed frames"