Problem:
Situation: Load two videofiles in the 2-windows-view. Then change the working-zone of one of them by sliding the position of the start-marker.
Effect/Problem: Now the common control "play" doesn't work with both videos - only with the working-zone-varied video. When you use the common control "frame-slider" both videos responds to the commands, and then the common "play"-button works. But only till reaching the end of the video: Only the varied video will do the loop.

Several suggestions:
- The paralell setting of keyframes for both of two paralell viewed videos by using one "common keyframe"-button would be comfortable.
- The possibility to jump in two synchronized videos to the point which is related to the keyframe in only one of them would be very helpfull.
- After synchronizing two videos I often would prefer to lock the synchronization, so that only the common controls work.
- The video-viewer FairPlay Lite (freeware: http://www.ccc-software.de/en/sport/ser … rchiv.php) provides a deinterlacing-modus to get 50 frames/s (deinterlacing of every half-frame). I would like this feature in kinovea!

To all programmers and contributors: Thank you for kinovea!

Hi,
Thanks for the report and suggestions !

I'll add the defects to the bug tracker. I've stumbled upon the second issue in the past (when only one video rolls back to start) but it was a bit sensitive to context and I couldn't reproduce it easily.
Were the videos in analysis mode or in normal mode ? (basically when you used the slider, was the video updated in realtime or only when you released the cursor ?)

About the suggestions,
It is not the first time that I get feedback around this idea of more locking in the synchronisation.
The original idea was to keep the videos fairly independant so you can change the sync point at anytime and maybe browse in one video while the other one stays paused.
Now maybe it would make more sense to really lock the vids together for as many actions as possible.
That would certainly ease the comparison process.

I'd be happy to get more feedback from other users on this too. Anyone using the double view for independant browsing of the videos ?

I'll have a look at FairPlay Lite.

Thanks

3 (edited by helmutk 2009-10-22 07:00:24)

I beg your pardon for this question, but: What's the difference between analysis mode and normal mode? In the view-menue I can choose the one-screen-modus or the two-screen-modus. I' ve used the second one. Is this the analysis mode?
The videos were updated in realtime when using the slider. But ... Oh I have to report another bug: after using the slider for the synchronized videos the common play-button doesn't start the vids from the new position where you stopped sliding. The vids start where you stopped them with the pause-button last time........ And vice versa: After starting the vids with the common play-button and stopping with the common pause-button the use of the slider begins at the "old" slider position (where you stopped sliding last time) and not at the new displayed position.

Hope it's possible to follow my report above. ;-)

Thanks!

helmutk wrote:

I beg your pardon for this question, but: What's the difference between analysis mode and normal mode?

They are just internal modes of working for the software. When the memory permits, the working zone selection is automatically switched into so-called analysis mode (for a lack of a better name) and all video frames are expanded to memory.
The browsing is faster and some functions under the "Image" menu become available.
The "normal" mode is used for longer videos that can't fit in memory.

helmutk wrote:

I have to report another bug: after using the slider for the synchronized videos the common play-button doesn't start the vids from the new position where you stopped sliding.

That was "by-design" behavior actually.
If you have set a synchronisation point, the common controls are always relative to this sync point.
Maybe it's confusing and should be changed. I guess it shows that I wasn't sure about this sync lock issue.
This sort of confusing behavior would disappear if the sync lock is enforced.

So, what would be the way to enforce this "sync lock" while still being able to change the sync point ?
- a small button to lock/unlock the videos ?
- the locking would be the default behavior when a new sync point is choosen by the user ?
- to change the sync point the user would thus have to unlock synchronisation first.
- while locked, the individual controls on each videos are disabled entirely ?
- while locked, the individual controls are not disabled but using the ones on a video impacts the one on the other ?
- what happens when you change the working zone selection in one video, when you change the slow motion factor ?