is it possible to use this software to add comments to something while it records, such as a webcam connected to a laptop streaming through kinovea letting you add key images as you go along... or even more ideally, letting you open the comments box to add a very quick note designated to that time stamp, without pausing the live feed?

Hi,
Currently, no.

There is a "capture" feature in the works (although it's development is sort of paused for now) but it has not been designed to do what you describe, the focus was more on being able to browse the recent history of the stream.

The intended use was to let a performer review his performance just after it has been recorded.
To that end, the "key images" area was reused to list the individual records recently saved, and the drawing tools were made to draw persistently on the screen to act as reference frames during the action.

If I understand correctly, your usage would be more about recording a longer video, say a tennis match, and be able to create the analysis while the camcorder is streaming to the laptop.

I guess this falls under the "tools for longer videos" family and will probably require again a new screen type or at least a graft to the non-completed one.
I'm afraid to say that currently it's not a priority, but I'll add this to the suggestion list and I encourage any one to have a say about it here.

Also, maybe that is a suggestion that would interest the LongoMatch project as they are working on longer video analysis.
Thanks