Hi Guys,

Newbie here, and a quick search did not reveal much. What do you guys suggest for golf swing recording?

Buenos días, soy usuario de una aipat, ¿la cámara de esta herramienta me será útil para hacer los videos para su análisis?

eramirez wrote:

Buenos días, soy usuario de una aipat

Hola, quieres decir iPad?
No sé pero mejor escribe en el foro en español en un nuevo hilo.

4 (edited by Chas Tennis 2022-11-13 05:20:22)

I am out of date on the current cameras.

I recently (2021) purchased 2 used Casio Ex-FH100 cameras about ~$100 each.  Also a Casio Ex-F1 for ~$300. They worked. These cameras were very well designed for high speed video in about 2010.   They have low resolution but adequate resolution for analysis at 240 fps. The strong feature - usually hard to find - was the full manual exposure control with shutter speed down to 25 microseconds, 1/40,000 sec.  That shutter speed produces small motion blur for athletic speeds. It is also nice to deal with small video file sizes, although I like high resolution like everyone else.

I tested the camera for Jello Effect distortions and JE was not significant for tennis strokes.  In the past, high speed cameras bent golf clubs in swings due to Jello Effect.  For many years, some golfers and sales people did not understand that it was JE and thought the golf club actually was bending!

I posted here on general camera issues involving frame rates, shutter speed, motion blur, Jello Effects and athletic applications. There are videos. I posted on a Golf website some years ago.

You can get the user's manuals from the Casio Support web site.

Chas Tennis wrote:

I recently (2021) purchased 2 used Casio Ex-FH100 cameras about ~$100 each.  Also a Casio Ex-F1 for ~$300. They worked. These cameras were very well designed for high speed video in about 2010.   They have low resolution but adequate resolution for analysis at 240 fps. The strong feature - usually hard to find - was the full manual exposure control with shutter speed down to 25 microseconds, 1/40,000 sec.  That shutter speed produces small motion blur for athletic speeds. It is also nice to deal with small video file sizes, although I like high resolution like everyone else.

I tested the camera for Jello Effect distortions and JE was not significant for tennis strokes.  In the past, high speed cameras bent golf clubs in swings due to Jello Effect.  For many years, some golfers and sales people did not understand that it was JE and thought the golf club actually was bending!

I posted here on general camera issues involving frame rates, shutter speed, motion blur, Jello Effects and athletic applications. There are videos. I posted on a Golf website some years ago.

Thanks. I presume those are rolling shutter cameras?

6 (edited by Chas Tennis 2022-11-29 11:53:12)

deepakvrao wrote:
Chas Tennis wrote:

Casio FH100 is CMOS with rolling shutter.  They are widely used in golf.   Partly because of the small number of lines to be scanned in high speed video modes, the Jello Effect is small for athletic motions.  Search Casio FH100 golf swing Youtubes.

Here is a 900+ post thread on a golfing website about Casio cameras and their application for golf. 
https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/329254 … d/page/29/

7 (edited by deepakvrao 2022-11-29 11:20:06)

Chas Tennis wrote:
deepakvrao wrote:
Chas Tennis wrote:

Casio FH100 are rolling shutter.  They are widely used in golf.   Partly because of the small number of lines to be scanned in high speed video modes, the Jello Effect is small for athletic motions.  Search Casio FH100 golf swing Youtubes.

There is a 900+ post thread on a golfing website on Casio cameras and their application for golf.  I'll find the link.

Thanks again. I presume they connect to a PC via USB? What resolution and fps do you use them at? Will it work with Kinovea?

"I presume they connect to a PC via USB? What resolution and fps do you use them at? Will it work with Kinovea?"

I have a cable somewhere to connect but I remove the SD card and use the SD slot on the computer.  (I did not load the original Casio software on my present computer.)   

The video works well with Kinovea.  But saving the .MOV video file with available Kinovea video formats increases the file size of the video file more than I would have expected.

Chas Tennis wrote:

"I presume they connect to a PC via USB? What resolution and fps do you use them at? Will it work with Kinovea?"

I have a cable somewhere to connect but I remove the SD card and use the SD slot on the computer.  (I did not load the original Casio software on my present computer.)   

The video works well with Kinovea.  But saving the .MOV video file with available Kinovea video formats increases the file size of the video file more than I would have expected.

Oh, I was looking more at connecting 2 cameras directly to my PC and record using Kinovea.

10 (edited by Chas Tennis 2022-11-29 15:40:59)

"Oh, I was looking more at connecting 2 cameras directly to my PC and record using Kinovea."

I should have realized your application.......  I don't know anything about triggering cameras.

I don't recall seeing any remote start capability in the manual.   It's strong feature is that it has a shutter speed down to 25 microseconds. Of course, with rolling shutter that exposure time is applied sequentially and results in small Jello Effect.