In Preference/Playback, there is a checkbox for "Use motion synchronization mode," but the documentation doesn't mention it.  What is the purpose?

I have two of the same camera, and the default description of them both is HD USB Camera.  I was able to change how they are displayed in Control Panel and other app via regedit (per basic instructions on the internet), but they continue to be displayed as HD USB Camera in Kinovea.  Is there that can be done about that?  It appears that Kinovea is displaying a different device property rather than the typical "Friendly name" property.

Thanks!

"Use motion synchronization mode", this is still experimental. The idea is that instead of synchronizing the videos on a common event by shifting one in relation to the other, this mode uses the length of each video segment and changes the playback speed of the right one, such that both the start and end are in sync (but they are no longer using a comparable time base).

Basically it's a way synchronize a whole segment by scaling the time axis in addition to translating it. This can be helpful if you want to compare form within a larger motion while doing abstraction of the performance speed. For example say we have two long jumpers and we want to compare their form during the aerial phase, but one jump is taking longer than the other.

Regarding cameras that have the same name. In the log there should be a line with the camera identifier. This is normally a unique name, it's the DirectShow name. I think I've heard about this issue with the Kayeton cameras. Can you check in the log if they have the same "moniker"?

The two cameras have the same basic moniker, but not the detailed monitor.  (They work fine w/ Kinovea, I just wish the camera list distinguished them.)  They are ELP cameras, should be same chip as Kayeton, OV something or other.

Here are the log lines.
6931 - DEBUG - [Main] - CameraManagerDirectShow - DirectShow device enumeration: HD USB Camera (moniker:@device:pnp:\\?\usb#vid_05a3&pid_4689&mi_00#6&c6e899e&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global).
6931 - DEBUG - [Main] - CameraManagerDirectShow - DirectShow device enumeration: HD USB Camera (moniker:@device:pnp:\\?\usb#vid_32e4&pid_4689&mi_00#6&1d583cdb&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global).

Take note that the first camera was changed to Friendlyname = Cam1 in the registry and the second camera was changed to Cam2.

Here is the registry data output for the 2nd camera:

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_32E4&PID_4689&MI_00\6&1d583cdb&0&0000
Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time:   12/28/2022 - 6:59 AM
Value 0
  Name:            DeviceDesc
  Type:            REG_SZ
  Data:            @usbvideo.inf,%usbvideo.devicedesc%;USB Video Device

Value 1
  Name:            LocationInformation
  Data:            0000.0014.0000.007.000.000.000.000.000

Value 2
  Name:            Capabilities
  Type:            REG_DWORD
  Data:            0xa4

Value 3
  Name:            Address
  Data:            0x7

Value 4
  Name:            ContainerID
  Data:            {050c9e83-53fd-5a4c-983c-3b1720724139}

Value 5
  Name:            HardwareID
  Type:            REG_MULTI_SZ
  Data:            USB\VID_32E4&PID_4689&REV_4104&MI_00
                   USB\VID_32E4&PID_4689&MI_00

Value 6
  Name:            CompatibleIDs
  Data:            USB\COMPAT_VID_32e4&Class_0e&SubClass_03&Prot_00
                   USB\COMPAT_VID_32e4&Class_0e&SubClass_03
                   USB\COMPAT_VID_32e4&Class_0e
                   USB\Class_0e&SubClass_03&Prot_00
                   USB\Class_0e&SubClass_03
                   USB\Class_0e

Value 7
  Name:            ClassGUID
  Data:            {ca3e7ab9-b4c3-4ae6-8251-579ef933890f}

Value 8
  Name:            Service
  Data:            usbvideo

Value 9
  Name:            LowerFilters
  Data:            WdmCompanionFilter

Value 10
  Name:            Driver
  Data:            {ca3e7ab9-b4c3-4ae6-8251-579ef933890f}\0001

Value 11
  Name:            Mfg
  Data:            @usbvideo.inf,%msft%;Microsoft

Value 12
  Name:            FriendlyName
  Data:            Cam2

Value 13
  Name:            ConfigFlags
  Data:            0

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_32E4&PID_4689&MI_00\6&1d583cdb&0&0000\Device Parameters
Last Write Time:   12/28/2022 - 6:42 AM
Value 0
  Name:            VendorRevision
  Data:            0

Value 1
  Name:            RevisionId
  Data:            0x4104

Value 2
  Name:            ExtPropDescSemaphore
  Data:            0x1

Value 3
  Name:            DeviceSelectiveSuspended

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_32E4&PID_4689&MI_00\6&1d583cdb&0&0000\Device Parameters\e5b3b5ac-9725-4f78-963f-03dfb1d828c7
Value 0
  Name:            D3ColdSupported

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_32E4&PID_4689&MI_00\6&1d583cdb&0&0000\Device Parameters\WUDF

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_32E4&PID_4689&MI_00\6&1d583cdb&0&0000\Device Parameters\WUDF\CompanionConfigurations

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_32E4&PID_4689&MI_00\6&1d583cdb&0&0000\Device Parameters\WUDF\CompanionConfigurations\WdmCompanionFilter
Value 0
  Name:            CompanionServiceList
  Data:            SecureUSBVideo

joeslat wrote:

They work fine w/ Kinovea, I just wish the camera list distinguished them.

Right click the camera then "Rename" menu and set the "Alias". Does this work?

Sorry to ask for clarification...right click the camera in what app/program?  In Kinovea, if I right-click, the options are "open" or "forget custom settings."

6 (edited by joeslat 2022-12-31 02:44:18)

OK, I did some digging and here is how I solved it, this will probably be useful for others.
I searched the registry for "HD USB Camera," which showed up in the Friendly Name attribute several times.  In order to keep the cameras separate in doing this, I:
1.  uninstalled both cameras from Device manager and unplugged them.
2.  searched the registry for HD USB Camera to make sure there wasn't anything saved (there wasn't)
3.  plugged in the first camera, searched the registry for HD USB Camera (it only showed up in Friendly Name attributes), and changed the name to CameraLeft.
4.  unplugged the CameraLeft camera, plugged in the 2nd camera and repeated the process in #3 as CameraRight.
[Note, after this change, Kinovea still had them both as HD USB Camera, so it must be cached by Kinovea]
5. Uninstalled Kinovea.  Searched the registry for any mention of Kinovea and deleted the entries (probably didn't need to do this)
6. Installed Kinovea.  They now show up as two different names.
And a bonus:  because their name was the same in Kinovea, when I put both cameras on a dual capture screen, and saved the workspace, it never worked when I opened Kinovea...the right screen never opened up the camera.  So I always had to rebuild from scratch the view (save workspace didn't function properly)
Now that they were distinguished from each other before Kinovea was installed, Kinovea isn't confused when it opens up and the saved workspace functions just fine.
Thanks!  Love this software and appreciate your help.

Hi, thanks for the follow up and the details.
Regarding the menu, you may be using an older version or there is a problem. The context menu is generic and should look like this:

https://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.9.6/096-camera-context-menu2.png

You can also change the camera icon from there to identify it better.

I don't have that option.  I'm running 0.9.5, and yesterday, as mentioned above, I uninstalled and reinstalled Kinovea.

That is very strange.

Let's see… The same functionality exists when clicking on the "Configure" button on the capture screen once the camera is opened. In this dialog you should be able to see both the alias defined in Kinovea (in blue) and the camera internal name (in italics below). The alias is editable directly and the icon is a button. Does editing the alias from there work in your case?

In camera configuration, I cannot change the alias.  However, I did notice that, before opening any capture or playback windows, if I select Cameras on the left, I am able to right-click on the camera previews that are on the right.

My problem is completely resolved, at least as far as getting done what I wanted to get done.  I did notice that others had pointed out that two cameras with the same name will produce the problem that I had (two capture cameras, same name, set as default workspace, and when you reopen, only one camera reloads).  Thanks for all your help.