Help I am looking for a video camera that can do a 3 sec video clip at a minimum of 200 Hz ideally up to 1000 Hz. Is there such a camera?

Hi Joseph, all machine vision cameras from Daheng,Basler and IDS (global shutter cameras) may fit your need. If the specification of the camera is, for example 160fps, you can reduce the height of the image, resulting in an about proportional higher fps. That means, reducing to the half will double the fps. However, be aware that an increasing fps alone does not reduce the blur. Blurring is more related to the acquisition time (shutter speed) you use. While reducing the acquisition time you need a lot of lighting and (!) a light that has a low flicker rate. Going over 120fps and below 1000 microseconds shutter speed, you would need a light that is absolutely (!) flicker free.

Some of these may fit your needs
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004817557812.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006144149330.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004525272519.html

Reiner wrote:

If the specification of the camera is, for example 160fps, you can reduce the height of the image, resulting in an about proportional higher fps.

Interesting!  When I look at the specifications and download of Daheng cameras (e.g., MARS-561-207GTC), there is no mention of alternative faster frame rates. So how does one achieve the higher frame rate? Is it simply done in Kinovea via settings and the camera automatically captures at a higher frame rate?  I may not have looked through even models, but it seems that every Daheng camera is only listed for a single frame rate. Perhaps this is simple how global shutter cameras are specified in contrast to other camera types which specify every resolution/frame rate possibility?

Reiner wrote:

you would need a light that is absolutely (!) flicker free.

Great info!  Are there specific types of lights that you recommend for >120fps very high speed captures?

It's mostly machine vision cameras that are specified like this, they give the frame rate for the max resolution of the sensor but if you lower the number of lines it can actually go faster. When you do this the frame rate slider in the camera settings in Kinovea should have a wider range. For some camera types you have to click a button to refresh the slider range.

joan wrote:

It's mostly machine vision cameras that are specified like this, they give the frame rate for the max resolution of the sensor but if you lower the number of lines it can actually go faster. When you do this the frame rate slider in the camera settings in Kinovea should have a wider range. For some camera types you have to click a button to refresh the slider range.

Thank-you! This is helpful and good to know.

Regarding the lights I highly recommend getting the specification from the manufacturer/vendor. I have spend too many money for led lights that were specified as "flicker free" but they have had a significant flickering if I went down below 1000 microsecond shutter speed. So I recommend first to check, what the lower limit of shutter speed is in your application that satisfies your need.
If your power grid creates 50Hz/60Hz and a framerate of 100/120 fps is sufficient, you may use regular lights and the flickering will not appear. However, if you use higher fps rates, you will see the phenomenon. You can test it with a handy camera.