Hey Joan,
I am new in this group and I like to build up a video analysis system for golf with 2 cameras and your Kinovea software. I have a brand new pc with usb3 ports and now I am looking for cameras that fit in this system. Actually I ordered one ELP camera with usb2 and ov4689 sensor. But there is another offer, a Basler acA1920-155um, that could do the job as well. Is this basler Modell fitting in the kinovea software? And which of the two cameras is better for sequencing the golf swing. Thx for your help. You are doing great work here!

Is it possible to run a dual camera Video Analysis with two different Cameras like the ELP OV4689 and the Basler aca1920 155um or do I need two equivalent cameras?

3 (edited by mootej 2024-03-21 02:16:50)

David, if you are not on Discord, GSPro, Simulator Golf Tour, you should join.  Lots of setup info and help there for this type of setup.

The ELP cameras will work but IMHO are really rudimentary with very little control over the way the camera works.  The Basler is truly high end and you will be much more capable with it.

The Basler cameras should work well, I have an acA-1920-150um.  You have to download the specific Basler drivers from Kinovea and install an older version of the Basler runtime (I think its like version 6) from Basler.  Don't install the current one from Basler, it doesn't work.  You can control the camera by right-clicking on the capture screen top banner bar.

One key is to reduce the exposure time, it is the key to getting less blur.  The Basler can do this, the ELP most likely not.  I have a couple of the Kayetons and they are plug and play, one mode only.

I can definitely use a Basler and a Kayeton together with two capture screens so it should also work with the ELP. 

IDS also makes some great cameras.  I think you'll find lighting is the key, flicker free bright.  Good luck with your setup, if you get on Discord, you'll find lots posted, especially under #cameras on the SGT server.

One other thing, USB2 cables can run a pretty long way without an active powered cable.  USB3, not.  I think it's like max 2 or 3 meters.  Then you have to go with active cables = more expensive.

Thx mootej, that helps a lot. I am on discord for gspro, never thought about solutions for cameras as well. I got a chance to get the Basler camera for 270€ instead of 900. which lenses do you use for the camera, the Basler lens calculator told me to use a 8mm 2/3“ lens but the prices differ from 70-500€.

5 (edited by mootej 2024-03-22 00:03:55)

Take a look at Discord SGT #cameras and you'll see some of my videos @rocinante.   Lots of other great setup info if you plug in some relevant search terms.  @HTDumps has been a great resource.  Great score on the camera price!

I am about to jump down the lens rabbit hole.  HTDumps suggested this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088G … &psc=1

I have whatever came with the first IDS camera which I think is a Kowa 12mm F1.4.  But I have two Kayetons F1.4 2.8 to 12mm zoom (lenses do not fit the other cameras, well maybe with an adapter), an IDS, a Basler and two more Baslers coming, maybe one more IDS and I have only one lens!

David, be aware that the ACA1920-150 has a 1/1.2" sensor (not a 2/3" sensor !). You will get vignetting (borders of the image are darkened) due to that the aperture of the lens is too small for that sensor.
In general, the lens should be adapted to the sensor format. If the lens has a value of 2/3", it will fit on a 1/3" sensor, but not on a 1/1.2" sensor due to the smaller opening diameter of the lens.
The aperture value F determines the maximal opening of the individual lens, determining the amount of light that will go into the camera. Values below F2.0 are OK, F1.4 is very good, F1.2 is perfect. Lower F-values and higher sensor-values are resulting in higher lens prices.
Always check the exact specification of the lens, if it will fit to your individual camera.

It is true that the prices of the lenses for the 1/1.2" sensors are higher. I'm actually using 3 of these cameras from Daheng (have had different 1/2.9" sensor-cameras before) and I think it is worth the price.
If you would like to stay in the medium range, use a 1/2.9" mono sensor-camera (IMX273), and use the S12-lenses that are below 100 Euro, but the light intensity is not as high compared to most the C-mount lenses. You might also look for relatively cheap C-mount lenses in the area of 100 Euro. If your camera-object distance is pretty small, you have to go below 4mm lenses. S12-lenses then are appropriate.

You will also find some other posts in the forum discussing that topic

Today I got my new Basler aca1920 155um. I installed the pylon 6.0.1 software and I got a connection to my camera. But I don’t know how copy a plugin in the plugin/camera folder of kinovea. Maybe someone can explain it for noobs like me working with a windows11 pc for the first time, always worked with Apple for the last 20 years. I can’t even find the kinovea folders rather than I know which plugin I have to install. I have the latest kinovea version 9.5, hope that will work for my pylon software?

Download the Basler-Plugin from the Kinovea site:
a folder named "Kinovea" is created in your download folder, containing the BASLER - folder

Open your Kinovea program
click  the menu-topic: help/Open Log folder

this opens a filebrowser having AppData open and looks like this:
... <your kinovea path>\AppData
Double click on Plugins
double click on Camera

open your download-folder in a second filebrowser (open file browser with a right mouse-click)
double click on the folder that has been downloaded and named Kinovea
drag and drop the Basler-folder in it to the Camera-folder of the other filebrowser
and you are done.

Pylon 6.0.1 will work
Kinovea 0.9.5 will work

good luck

Thx Reiner, I fixed the problem this morning. My windows 11 didn’t show me all files in the explorer. Now I found them and copied the plugin and voila, my camera is shown in kinovea.