Hello,

Here is something I just came accross. I purchased a new camcorder today (JVC Everio GZ-MG330). It saves the files in a MPEG2 format. When I play them the motion is distorted. It may not be motion blur, the image looks like there is lines in it and it kind of breaks up. Not the whole image, for example if I am filming a bat swing the bat will look strage. Also I have to the open file section to find it, it does not show up in my video file section. If you need a file to see let me know and I will e-mail you an example.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

For the first problem, it sounds a lot like you are experiencing interlacing.
The video is being recorded interlaced, each frame has only half the scan lines: one frame will have even lines and next frame will have odd lines. Symptom : the motion seem to zigzag.

Interlacing is not a problem while the video doesn't have very fast motions and is played back at normal speed (the eye and the brain does the deinterlacing).
For sport in slow motion, it can quicly become a huge problem.

See if your camera has a progressive mode to record video. (all lines on each frame)
I'll also see how hard it would be to implement deinterlacing directly in the software. It is causing problem in a lot of scenarios and I believe it will be a must have.

The second problem, file not displayed in the explorer control, is probably simply caused by the file extension not registered here.
This is a 3 seconds fix, just tell me what the file extension is, I'll add it to the list.

The file extenion JVC uses is .mod

Also is there a program you can recomend that will convert the file for me from interlaced to progressive? My camcorder does not have progrssive scan mode that I am aware of.

Thanks,
Mike

You can use VirtualDub to apply a deinterlacing filter to the video.
I think it may interest other people, so I just wrote a whole topic on one possible method to give it more exposure.