I just stumbled upon deck.js, a very nice JavaScript library to create presentations, and instantly thought it could be great for creating flipbook-like reports from Kinovea.
This would allow the user to create nice presentations to run in the browser (it's all pure HTML/JavaScript, no Flash/Silverlight), either locally or to upload on their website.

Here is a demo page I created to test. Use the arrow keys to change slide.
(I just crafted it in a few minutes based on the sample, it's all default options, so really just to give a taste, but it seems easy to play with).
(Also, I just tested it with Firefox 7, I don't know if it works across all browsers)

Thoughts?

1,232

(3 replies, posted in Bug reports)

Hi,
Performance in the playback is currently the top priority, and what I've been working on for the past weeks/month.
There's still a long way to go though…

1,233

(3 replies, posted in General)

Hi,
In addition to several existing threads about OS X support, I'll repost what I've posted in the French forum a few days ago:

Not going to happen soon tongue
Not the same programming language, not the same framework, not the same memory constraints, technical restrictions imposed by Apple, mandatory to buy a Mac to write an app, incompatibility of the AppStore terms of use with some open source licences…
Not even mentionning the lack of resource to actually do it.

1,234

(1 replies, posted in Français)

Anne ruby wrote:

Merci de renseigner mon impatience !

Pas pour bientôt tongue
Pas le même langage de programmation, pas le même framework, pas les mêmes contraintes mémoire, restrictions techniques imposées par Apple, obligation d'acheter un Mac pour écrire une appli, incompatibilité de la licence de l'AppStore avec les licences libres…
Tout ça sans parler du manque de ressource pour le faire.

jryan15 wrote:

Would there be a way to automatically sync the video speeds based on the frame rates of the video?

There are two kinds of synchronization in Kinovea. (I refer to them as static and dynamic but the distinction is not named in the interface).
Static sync is when you use the common frame tracker, common "next", common "prev", "first", etc. buttons. It's purely frame-based. When you ask "next", it advances one frame in each vid. This one is sensitive to frame rate.

Dynamic sync is when you use the common "Play" button. It is not sensitive to differing frame rate. You can compare a 50fps video with a 10fps video, if they both last ten seconds, they will end in unison. It's just as if you'd press play on both. It is however sensitive to differing capture speed (your problem) and this information is not exposed in the file so we can't fix it automatically.

I just realized that I have already tried to address the issue of synchronizing one high speed video with a normal video a few month ago roll
Are you using 0.8.15 or 0.8.16 (the fix being only in the latter).

In 0.8.16: open both videos, then specify the capture speed of the high speed camera.  (motion > high speed camera).
The slow motion sliders will be locked on the value of the high speed video (the normal video will play in slow motion).

1,236

(1 replies, posted in Bug reports)

Some questions:
Error message ?
Kinovea version ?
What save option did you use ?
All files or only some of them ?
Can you get logs ?

1,237

(3 replies, posted in Bug reports)

Hi,
For info I've been working in the "FileTypes" branch for the last weeks (warning, it's very experimental and broken in several places). Let me check if I can reproduce your issues (don't have VS2010 though).
I do remember that EmguCV is advertised to be for .NET 3.5, but I had found a way to make it work for 2.0 anyway. Did you reference the dll in \Refs folder or did you install it separately ?

edit:
Synched trunk to a new folder, opened in VC#2008 Express, switched to x86, rebuilt: OK.
Set "Root" as startup project, F5 : OK.
There's only one Drawings.Designer.cs in the sources (also see here), maybe it's something that resulted from an automatic conversion to .NET 4.0 / Visual Studio 10 ? Not sure.

edit 2:
Ok, I tried with VC#2010 Express and… well.
The automatic conversion does a number of nasty things that breaks the project.

1 - it alters all the .csproj files and redefines the toolchain (compiler, linker, resgen, etc) to be of the 4.0 version instead of 2.0/3.5. (Because .NET 4.0 is a new framework, whereas 3.5 and 2.0 where based on the same underlying infrastructure).

2 - it took the liberty to regenerate all the resources files using the new toolchain.
For most it's not an issue. (Except that now we can't use the project in older version).
For some reason it created "Drawings1.Designer.cs" and added it to the project (instead of replacing the old one). I think it's a bug of the converter.

For the issue with Emgu.CV that can't be loaded… I'm not sure but I think it has to do with references to assemblies in the GAC like System or System.Data. They will automatically use the version corresponding to a certain target framework. So when the target FW was changed to 4.0 in point 1, it actually changed the actual referenced assemblies.

So, I guess that for now, we will say that one has to use an IDE based on framework 2.0 or 3.5 (VC#2005, VC#2008, SharpDevelop 2 or 3) or SharpDevelop 4.x.

1,238

(4 replies, posted in Bug reports)

I can't repro for now.
I have loaded two vids you previously sent me and let them run side by side in loop for 10 minutes without crash.
I'll try to think of something based on the exception stack trace, if you have more details don't hesitate.

jryan15 wrote:

So is the bug that the 2nd video opens at 100% while the 1st remains in slow motion (ie 30%), or is the bug that once two videos are open, the speed between the two are locked together (change one speed, both speeds change)?

It's not a bug it's a feature !™
Haha, always wanted to say that one smile

The issue is the locking. Previously the sliders were free from each other, and it was a feature request to have as many things as possible locked together while comparing.
And it does make sense in the context of comparing two videos that have the same capture speed. Similar concept that when you press F6 to create a key image, it creates it in both videos at once. (ok, I'm might be the only person to know about this one).

The fact that you can open one video, slow it down, and then open a second one and have different slow motions is a little trick I hadn't thought about. I would consider this an unrelated bug.
Anyway, the workaround might be to provide a CTRL or Shift modifier to deactivate the locking when changing the speed (if possible/practical).

It will not be by default, because having two videos with differing capture speed is still not the most common scenario. Unless most people think it's an annoyance anyway, in which case it can certainly be disabled. (Feedback please).

Just to be clear for all readers, this is about videos with different capture speed (say one normal video and one 1000fps video). Videos with different playback frame rates (e.g: 30fps vs 24.97fps) are supported out of the box.

1,240

(1 replies, posted in Français)

Juste pour dire que je trouve ça très intéressant smile

Hello,
Yes, it is a known side effect of the slow motion being locked between videos.
Haven't gotten around to implement a work around yet.

1,242

(4 replies, posted in Bug reports)

I'll have a look at this. The way the videos are read has completely changed in 0.8.17 so verification that dual playback works is needed anyway. (that is what you refer to by head to head, right ?)
If you have more details (does it with only these videos or with all), how does the error manifests itself, is it a crash, freeze, something else, etc.

Log files would help a lot.

1,243

(3 replies, posted in Bug reports)

Yes, it is the problem.
Basically the camcorder (and all other that save to hard drive, DVD, or flash card) do not have streaming capability. The USB connection can only be used to transfer files.

The only workaround with this type of device is to use the analog outlet and an analog to digital converter at the PC end. (either HDMI or S-Video depending if the camcorder is HD or not)

1,244

(3 replies, posted in Bug reports)

You need to provide more details.

What doesn't work ? (capture, playback)
What happens when it doesn't work ? (error, black screen, something else)
What is the exact model ?
etc.

Very quickly not to disrupt the topic:
- Key images in Kinovea.
- Most simple drawings (like lines or angles) are "attached" to a specific key image.
- Tracks and stopwatches are not attached to any key image.
- Image sequence. No bearing to key images. Just to do automatic snapshot at regular intervals.
- Load key images data: this feature is already here so you can check for yourself. It opens a regular "Open file" dialog that let you pick any KVA file on your hard drive, and import on the current video.
- Format vs extension. Data representation (format) is XML. But the file extension is .kva to make it easier to associate the file with Kinovea. (Very common schema). Open the file in notepad to see how it looks.
- Observational references.